There is so much depth in this ancient occult philosophy from the Kybalion, it takes several readings to absorb (and probably a lifetime to put into practice). Though a small book, a very comprehensive explanation of these teachings can be found in The Kybalion: A study of the Hermetic philosophy of ancient Egypt and Greece by The Three Initiates.
Though I won’t get into my own assessment of the contents, I’d like to just recap the teachings quite briefly. If it piques your interest, then the read will be well worth your time.
This philosophy, initiated by Hermes Trismegistus (later deified as the God Thoth), holds these seven principles to be true and applicable to all existence:
- The Principle of Mentalism – Existence is “a Mental Creation of THE ALL, subject to the Laws of Created Things…”
- The Principle of Correspondence – “As above, so below; as below, so above”
- The Principle of Vibration – “The differences between different manifestations of Matter, Energy, Mind, and even Spirit, result largely from varying rates of Vibration.”
- The Principle of Polarity – “…everything is and isn’t, at the same time.” “…all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled.”
- The Principle of Rhythm – “…the pendulum-swing manifests in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left…” “There is always an action and a reaction…”
- The Principle of Cause and Effect – “Every Cause has its Effect; every Effect has its Cause… Chance is but a name for Law not recognized…”
- The Principle of Gender – “…Everything has its Masculine and Feminine Principles…” In this principle we find the differences between and unlock the mysteries of that which we call “I” and that which we call “me”.
Enjoy the teachings, should you choose to give the Hermetists a read. To summarize the reason one studies the Kybalion, here is one last quote from the book:
One may change his mental vibrations by an effort of Will, in the direction of deliberately fixing the Attention upon a more desirable state. Will directs the Attention, and Attention changes the Vibration. Cultivate the Art of Attention, by means of the Will, and you have solved the secret of the Mastery of Moods and Mental States.